Home > Blog, Faith > Original Intentions

Original Intentions

When I started this blog, it was initially meant to keep people up to date with how I am going with my chemotherapy whilst I was out of action for the year. The original intention still remains, however, the expectations that I started with have changed. Even though my odds of survival were never great (40% at 5 years), there was somehow at the back of my mind the notion that I would beat those odds. However, as statistics do in their strange way, they have proven that there is a basis for such figures as I am more or less relegated to the 60% non-surviving category.

Now, as I enter a new phase of the journey with cancer, this blog will fulfill two purposes: the original one to keep people up to date with how I am doing, and a second one, to provide some kind of creative outlet that documents my journey that maybe months long, or a few years short. I’m not sure what form this outlet will take, it’ll likely be musings, thoughts, and experiences along the path to my eventual demise.

For those that know me, I’ve never been one to be particularly private about stuff, and I see no reason to be so now. From what I can tell, most people seem grateful that I can share my experience with them. Some people will no doubt not want to hear about it, which is fine, whether you chose to read this blog or not is up to you. In my experience though, those that embrace the hard things in life are the ones who flourish the most, including the hard things in other peoples life. I don’t write this blog for sympathy, or to garnish attention, but to hopefully provide insight into a dying mind and soul, and to allow those who want to journey with me through this to be able to do so.

Finally, my faith, which is integral to my identity and purpose, has never really featured here much. This is likely to change. Knowing about your death is something that helps you re-prioritise things. My faith always has been, and always will be a priority in my life, but I’m chosing to engage with it on a more public level because it is issues of life and death that raise these kinds of topics to the surface for discussion.

Thanks for Listening.

Advertisements
Categories: Blog, Faith Tags: , , ,
  1. October 27, 2009 at 2:48 pm

    Bro – I’m kinda upset about your news – I guess I assumed you would be in the pool that would make it through.. My denial phase I guess. Sucks.

    I’m very interested to continue reading your thoughts – you are now the expert on what is important in life in my opinion.

    Love to you and your wife.

  2. Benny
    October 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm

    Hi Jared, Thanks for your blog. I will keep following and trust that you will keep updating, and most of all, fighting through. Much love, Benny

  3. rhys
    October 27, 2009 at 6:56 pm

    bro, thank you so much for the opportunity to share this with you. i love that last paragraph and i can’t wait to hear your musings on your faith and how this influences your journey. you have my full support.

    kia kaha.

  4. Matt
    October 27, 2009 at 7:37 pm

    You are truly an Inspiration Jared. Your words and your attitude are amazing, and will be of significant help also to many of your friends and family who are struggling to come to terms with this themselves.
    Our ongoing prayers are with you and Hannah – that our great God will give you both the strength and courage to take this journey together.
    Love from us both.

  5. Frances
    October 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm

    Thank you for your amazing honesty Jared. This is not going to be an easy journey for anyone, particularly for those who love you and Hannah. But we will journey with you and pray for strength to support you both. Love – Sandy and Frances

  6. Lisa
    October 28, 2009 at 3:59 am

    Jared – thank you for sharing your journey, so often the little things in life can seem frustrating and overwhelming and reading your thoughts and life experience really challenges me to put it in it’s place, so to say.
    I look forward to reading more of your inspiring blog, with all the good and the crappy and hope to somehow learn how to take life by the horns as you have and do.
    I look forward to hearing about your faith, stay strong!
    ~ Lisa.

  7. Lisa Greening
    October 28, 2009 at 12:55 pm

    Hi Jared
    I thought I would just let you know that we are praying for you. You don’t know me but I did a Nursing paper at Uni Sem 1 of this year with your Mum who talked about you and your situation. Since then I have kept up with your blog and will continue to and uphold you in our prayers also in our cell group.
    Take care
    Lisa

  8. Kim
    October 28, 2009 at 6:27 pm

    Hey Jared!
    Its always an encouragement to read your blog!

  9. Carolyn
    October 29, 2009 at 10:06 pm

    Hey dude

    Thanks for blogging. I really enjoy reading this and dude my faith totally SUCKS and I hope to learn something from you 🙂

    Will definitely see you at the ball!
    xx

    Carolyn

  10. Heather
    October 31, 2009 at 2:31 pm

    Hi Jared

    I was sad to hear your news after Tim saw Hannah yesterday at Starship. It’s good to be able to read about the details here – thanks for being so open and honest. I’m looking forward to more blogs too.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.

    Also – have car and flexible timetable so if you are ever in need of transport to appointments etc let us know.

    Kia Kaha
    Heather

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: