Home > Blog, Photography > Turning 30…

Turning 30…

In the continuing theme of reaching milestones in my life over a short period of time, on Sunday the 21st of November, I turned 30. In celebration of this, on Saturday evening, I had a bit of a shindig.

Turning 30 is significant for the main reason my 30th birthday was never a guarantee 2 years ago. In fact, any birthday from now on is not a guarantee. So I’d like to celebrate each as they come along by the mere point that they represent the fact that I am still alive.

The day of the party was ironically on the 2 year anniversary of my original diagnosis. With it came shock, disbelief, and a realisation that I am as mortal as the patients I deal with every day. The prognosis has evolved, from a survivable one to a non-survivable one. The emphasis has shifted from fighting to beat the diagnosis, to one of making the most of what time I have left.

How do I do that?

I serve, I engage in my passions, I celebrate milestones, and most of all.. I do that which God has asked me to do, to Love without condition, to have my heart broken by those in need and suffering, and to do my best to show them the grace that I have been shown. I might not have many years in me left, but I will live them to the best of my ability, and I do my very best to change the part of the world that I have been placed in.

The theme was ‘It used to be cool’, and it seemed to work well. Full credit to Al Ronberg for the photos, he did a top job on them. Credit also goes to all the people who help made it happen, you know who you are. I was responsible for about 3% of the organisation, with the other 97% lying with Hannah. Special mentions must also go to those who travelled from out of town to make the night. Toni from the Hawkes Bay, Nick and Caro from Palmerston North, Matt, Neelam and Yasmin from the Naki, Mike, Kristen and Simon from Wellington, Mike T from shakey Christchurch, and Francis, Sandy, Anna and Andrew from Dunedin town. Of course, Paul from Whangarei as well, but that’s really just like travelling from West Auckland…

The evening was epic, the venue a treat, and the company awesome.

Enjoy the photos…. 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements
Categories: Blog, Photography Tags: , ,
  1. Maree
    December 26, 2010 at 2:28 am

    Great look – great cake!! Congratulations on your Birthday, hope you had an awesome day!

  2. Maree
    December 26, 2010 at 2:32 am

    Cracked up at the group photos – great effort everyone!! You all looked awesome (even if a little “spooky”), looks like it was an amazing event 🙂

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: