A lot has happened since I last updated this blog. I have spent time in hospital and I have had all sorts of investigations.
Firstly, I don’t have a gastric ulcer, which was where I left things off in the last post. I had the gastroscopy, and it showed a perfectly normal looking mucosa lining my stomach. It did however suggest that the stomach and the first part of the duodenum are bigger than normal, so it was decided I should have a barium swallow to investigate further since I still had symptoms of pain, nausea, and vomiting.
The barium swallow showed a hugely distended stomach as well as the first 2 parts of the duodenum. The barium only partially moved beyond D3 (3rd part of duodenum), indicating that there was a partial obstruction at that location. We didn’t know how long or narrow that obstruction was though.
It was decided that using a duodenoscope, a gastroenterologist would get down to the obstruction and pass a cannula through it injecting contrast under fluoroscopy (x-ray guidance) in order the characterise it’s nature. An intrinsic obstruction might suggest stricture from radiation, or perhaps even adhesions from multiple previous surgeries. An extrinsic obstruction might suggest there was a lymph node or a mass pressing onto the duodenum from outside the gut and compressing it. It ended up being unclear, but it seemed more likely to be a radiation stricture than anything else, so a stent was inserted in order to open up that part of the gut again. This was all done under the same proceduce, although it was the second attempt as I didn’t tolerate the procedure well the first time under light sedation. The second time was done under a proper general anaesthetic.
That was done last Tuesday morning, and in the afternoon, I developed severe new onset right upper quadrant pain in my abdomen, with pain radiating to my right shoulder. It was unclear what the cause of this pain was, but I was x-rayed as perforation is a potential complication of stent insertion. The x-ray showed no evidence of free air in my peritoneum, reassuring us that it was unlikely to be a perforation. It also showed that the stent was open and patent, which was good news. The pain continued through the night and I soaked up some industrial levels of pain relievers in order to be comfortable. It was decided not to investigate further as the pain on the whole was improving the next day and I was able to eat and drink again for the first time in 3 weeks without vomiting. During that time I had been put on TPN (Total Paraenteral Nutrition), which is IV nutrition, in order to prevent me from getting malnourished and from deconditioning any further.
I was discharged on Friday, with a working stent and a new lease on life…. or so I thought.
One of my last blood tests in the hospital showed that my bilirubin had jumped from 12 to 51 within a day, and this had been overlooked. I noticed the result on my discharge summary that night after getting home and thought it was a bit odd. On Saturday morning, sure enough, Hannah noticed that the whites in my eyes were going yellow. I had Jaundice.
So on Monday, I was readmitted back to hospital with obstructive jaundice and a bilirubin of 95. My skin is now starting to turn yellow.
One of the risks of obstructive jaundice is that it can potentially become septic. This is called choleangitis and it is usually characterised by aggressive sepsis and septic shock. It is life threatening.
Today I had a CT scan to try and help find the cause of whatever is causing the obstruction of my bile getting from my liver into my gut. The scan showed both intra and extra-hepatic duct dilation, suggesting there is an obstruction outside of the liver, but it didn’t identify what that obstruction is, i.e. is it malignent, or stent related etc. The stent is however up against the ampulla, so could be contributing to the problem. The gastroenterologists have decided to go ahead and do an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatograph) this thursday to see if they can identify the cause, and then hopefully relieve the obstruction. This would be a best case scenario, as the alternative would be to go and put in a PTC tube (percutaneous transhepatic cholangiostomy), where they put a tube from your skin, into the liver, and then into the bile ducts to relieve the obstruction from behind. This is not an ideal solution as it doesn’t actually fix the source of the obstruction, it just relieves it (and that tube stays there to continually drain it).
So, I am in hospital , waiting for the ERCP under another general anaesthetic this Thursday and hoping it will fix the jaundice. Then, I can go back on chemo and try to get some stability back into my life again. 🙂
I shall keep you all updated as things progress…